A Holistic Lens To Remedy PMS
This is a pretty big topic.
For all of the creatures who menstruate out there, who are wondering whether PMS is normal, I am of the personal belief that it is not.
So what are the symptoms of PMS? They can vary immensely but some of them include:
- mood swings
- painful breasts
For many years I suffered from swollen tender breasts, painful menstruation, bloating and sharp pains in my ovaries. Even now I sometimes have some discomfort during my moon time, to a much lesser degree. This is usually a symbol of me not honouring my feminine wisdom. Slowing down and listening to what my body is trying to tell me.
How did I remedy this?
I researched, listened to my bodily wisdom and worked with myself as a holistic system including my physical body, my energetic body, my emotional body and my mental body.
Being a proactive little fitness bunny, I used to be quite harsh to myself during this time. If I did not work out and get shit done I would see myself as lazy and unproductive. I now see this sacred time and the most delicious opportunity to rest, write, get creative and deeply listen to my intuition.
The challenge is that sometimes as women when we do eventually slow down enough to listen to our emotional needs at this time we realise that the pain that we experience is actually a symbol of unresolved heartache and grief that we never addressed. This can be resolved by asking our body what she needs, being in the quietude, the solitude and creating a ritual with the intention for release.
Have you ever heard of an endocrine disruptor?
Endocrine Disruptors are synthetic chemicals that mess with the hormones that can be found in personal cosmetics, plastics, cleaning products & other sneaky products that we use on the daily. These environmental toxins could be wreaking havoc and messing up the delicate balance of your hormonal profile.
“Your body absorbs 60% of what is applied topically. Now think about it, how many different body care products are you using daily? Makeup, nail polish, shaving foam, face cream, toothpaste, lip balm, sunscreen, body wash, body lotion the list goes on. Many of these contain hundreds of unregulated chemicals in them with the major offenders being a group of ingredients that become endocrine disruptors.”-Krystal Natural Fit Foodie
Nourish your Cyclical feminine body
Physical Body – Remedies
- Use natural products
- Yin Yoga/ pilates/light walks
- More sleep
- Slow down
- Blood building foods & herbs- Dong quad, beetroot
- Non-linear dancing
- Cramp bark tincture- really effective
- Barefoot walking and connecting to mama Gaia
- Evening primrose oil – daily
- Blackstrap molasses for Iron
- Transdermal magnesium for cramping
- Essential oils of lavender, clary sage, yang yang
- Cacao based elixir drinks( full of magnesium)
- Cycle tracking
- Drink reds & wear reds as a symbol of this sacred time-( red bed sheets & underwear)
- Poetry creative writing, singing, cooking
- Learn to embrace your looks, particularly any physical signs of ageing that are appearing! Spend a couple of minutes staring at yourself in the mirror, appreciating this beautiful record. You are a work of art
- Learn to love your moon time. Connect with your blood – try re-usable products (think knickers & build-in pads), or a moon-cup for example. You can pour your blood on to a plant or straight on to the earth and fuse it with your intentions for the next lunar cycle.
- Womb clearing
- Live in rhythm with nature. Minimise exposure to artificial lights at night time
- Moon gaze
- Breast massage – Create pleasure in the body
- Learn to release, on all levels. So let go of actual, physical objects, and also old, outdated feelings/ thoughts patterns you are holding onto, metaphysically & with blood
- Learn to love yourself. A wonderful practice to develop this self-love is to spend anything from 2 minutes gazing into your own eyes in the mirror
- Yoni steam -AKA- vagina steam – an ancient tradition to help with calming, soothing and eliminating PMS related symptoms during your Luteal phase – Week 4)
It is my desire that this little overview has helped you gain clarity and knowledge around your moon time and given you some ideas to play with.
Did you learn anything new? Let me know in the comments section.
How is your moon time? Is it a joyous, celebratory time or a time that you dread every month?
Download your Free womb meditation
I teach women (and menstruators) how to harness the power of their natural rhythms and create a connected and compassionate relationship to their inner world.